Nidahas trophy final- India vs Bangladesh

Nidahas trophy final-India vs Bangladesh summary--


India win the toss and opt to field first-


Bangladesh-166/8(20 overs)

Indai-168/6(20 overs)


India won by 4 wicket

It is  great winning for India...


Summary-


PLAYER OF THE MATCH
Dinesh Karthik
PLAYER OF THE SERIES
Washington Sundar
So how's your heartbeat now? Mine was racing at the speed of a F1 car. Having written all that needs to be written, there's one final thing to do before wrapping up. As Harsha Bhogle so rightly tweeted, tonight's innings should be the second coming of DK. No. 4, 5, 6 or whichever spot in ODIs and T20Is should be stamped and sealed for the foreseeable future. He deserves it for the amount of talent he has. As far as Bangladesh are concerned - they can hold their heads high and try again. Shakib's hope may and hopefully for their sake should be realised someday. But that's for later. We are done for now. On that note it has been Srivathsa who has single-handedly - like DK - brought the action from here for everyone out there. I'm off to rest and recuperate from all the madness witnessed at the Premadasa. Do remember to read up everything that has been served up here and will be from Shirshendu and others. Until next time, it's goodbye from me. Be well and stay safe!


Snapshots: Here's our man Shirshendu Roy chronicling a few interesting moments from the finale. He's titled it 'When the school senior shared notes with his junior,' quite interestingly
Insane finale, right? Here are the Twitter reactions you may not want to miss...
***
As you recover, here are some stats to help you through -

* Most successive wins in T20Is against an opponent:
9 Pak v Zim (2008-15)
8 Ind v Ban (2009-18)*
7 Pak v Ban (2007-14)
7 NZ v Ban (2010-17)
7 Ind v Aus (2013-17)
7 Afg v Zim (2015-18)*
7 Ind v SL (2016-18)

* Hitting a six off the last ball to win a T20I:
C Kapugedara v Ind, Gros Islet, 2010
E Morgan v Ind, Wankhede, 2012
Z Babar v WI, Kingstown, 2013
V Sibanda v Net, Sylhet, 2014
DINESH KARTHIK v Ban, RPS, 2018 *

* India winning a T20I off the last ball:
vs Aus, SCG, 2016 (Tar: 198)
vs Ban, Colombo RPS, 2018 (Tar: 167)

* Teenagers winning Man of the Series awards in T20Is:
Rashid Khan
Shadab Khan
Washington Sundar *
***
Rohit gets the Nidahas Trophy and he will soon be surrounded by his team for the photos. The Indian team is all smiles - why wouldn't they be? The tri-color is flying high. Lots more to come from us. Do stay tuned and read up on everything that's served for you.

Rohit: "Brilliant for the crowd who came out in numbers, on behalf of my team, would want to thank the Sri Lankan crowd for coming out and supporting the way they did. Great tournament for us. Young bunch of lads - lot of learning, we always knew they had lot of talent; it was just about coming here and executing. This tournament win will give them lot of confidence going forward whenever they play for India and wherever they play. Everybody who came and got opportunities stepped in, they showed lot of character and these are high-pressure games and it isn't easy and we understand that. Quite easy to lead them, played with most of them. Lots of work has been done off the field in terms of planning, strategy and things like that. It was about executing them and they did it perfectly. Batters also stepped up whenever needed. The way we finished off was perfect and very happy to see Dinesh doing what he did. He didn't get much of game time, the way he came out and showed character was very very crucial for us. That was the reason I held Dinesh back, I have seen him play over the years and his experience matters a lot. When it doesn't come off, the captain never looks good. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We always had faith when we went into the dressing room after the first innings. The target I wouldn't say was a very high score or a very low score, it was a par score and with the kind of batting we have, we always had confidence to go and chase the target."
Sundar: "Definitely it means a lot. Such a reward at such a young age means very much. I really need to thank my family for this. This goes for them. When you are playing for your country, you should be ready to face any challenges. I really enjoyed bowling over here, this ground has always been amazing to me. I have always wanted to read the batsmen's mind and that's what I have been trying to do in these five games, most of the balls I won - that's a good feeling. I wanted to be there when we win the game, Dinesh bhai played really well and it turned out to be a memorable tournament for me."
Washington Sundar is the Man of the Series. While DK was named Man of the Match
Shakib: " You can't ask more in a final like this. There was everything in it, I thought we played superbly. Anybody could've won the game but credit to India, they held their nerves, especially Dinesh Karthik for the way he played. We wanted our best bowlers to bowl those two overs [talking about the 18th and 19th overs], even if Rubel would have gone for 15 runs, we would've had 20 to play with but that didn't happen. He didn't miss his length by much but credit to Dinesh Karthik, coming into the wicket and hitting first ball for six is not an easy thing to do. We knew it would be tough to defend, in the dressing room we had a very good feeling. Everyone tried their best, I can't expect more than that. In the end we are on the losing side, so it hurts but we can learn so much from this. It was pre-planned who we want to bowl. It is such a close game, you can say so many things. Hopefully we can work out from here and someday we can be on the winning side."
Shakib is roundly booed as he walks up to have a chat. And it isn't stopping even when he is talking. The Sri Lankans completely against Bangladesh after all that which happened between the two sides in the last game. Not on according to me
Karthik: "Really happy to come out of this performance, really happy for the team - young bunch of boys. We have played some good cricket throughout this tournament and had we not won this final, wouldn't have done justice to the way we have played this tournament. I realised that it wasn't that easy to bat, the way Mustafizur bowled that over, all I needed to do was to go for boundaries as soon as I went in. Touchwood some of the balls landed in a good place for me to hit a shot. I have been practising this - where I hold a good base and swing through the line well and it came off well today. I have been saying this over and over again; the Indian team right now is a tough place to get an opportunity but once you get it - you got to make best use of the opportunity. Credit to the backroom staff - they have always given me the confidence and I'm happy where I'm."

shardul Thakur: "Yeah, I was (in next). We were holding hands and praying in the dugout, let DK hit for a four or a six. He has been in incredible form, in the nets too. I haven't tried the knuckle ball against him in the nets but he'll hit it too, given how he's batting. I'm very confident now. I have been practising it for the last two years and I have bowled it at the high level, in coming matches I will be confident when I'm bowling the knuckle ball."
Yuzvendra Chahal: "Today the wicket was a bit dry, so I just varied my pace. Always works in the powerplay. I'm used to bowling it, in the IPL and with the Indian outfit. I ate through all my nails."
Manish Pandey: "When I got out, I thought somebody has to get the runs. DK has done that in the past. He can get that quick 20 runs and we had the belief in him. And my god he did. They bowled well in the middle overs. Rohit was set and somebody had to go for the big hits. It was my job and I did that."
Having said what needs to be said, one has to feel for the Bangladeshis and especially Soumya Sarkar. They fought till the last ball and were ahead at the end of the 18th over. This defeat will rankle them even more - along with that infamous night at Bangalore in the World T20. These two defeats will take all the stuffing out of the cricket-crazy country. Heartbreak twice and both times losing from near-improbable winning situations will test their resolve, nerve and mettle. They just can't seem to beat India in T20Is - tonight seemed to be their chance until DK turned up. There are sideline interviews which are up now. Do wait for the presentation which should begin anytime now...
Coming to the chase - Rohit Sharma was the one who looked like taking India home, but four overs in the middle when not a boundary was hit, hammered the pressure on him and he succumbed. Vijay Shankar was sent ahead of DK - a move which would've been roundly criticised had India lost, even if they hadn't got across the line off the last ball - because of how well DK hit Rubel in the penultimate over. But that's all history now. And Vijay must be one happy and relieved man.
But DK has had a rebirth of sorts in recent times and crowned himself in all glory with that six off the last ball. He had given a hint of what he could do in the last game, but tonight was the coup de grace. His career has seen many ups and downs, worthy enough to be made into a movie or a story waiting to be written. But nothing can eclipse what he has done here at the Premadasa tonight. Had India lost, all the blame would've been laid on the youngster - Vijay Shankar but his statemate and senior has ensured that his innings will be forgotten in a hurry.
22:45 Local Time, 17:15 GMT, 22:45 IST: Trust me - this has been as good a match as I have ever covered in my near 10-year career in this business. And certainly one of the most unforgettable and unbelievable finishes that I have had the privilege of calling. The game looked gone when Rubel had the ball at the start of the 19th over. Enter a man called Dinesh Karthik. Single-handedly took India to the trophy with a nerveless display that would rival, match and even outdo his great competitor MSD's many such chases - who kept him out of the Indian team for so long.

No comments:

Ireland vs India, 1st T20I - Commentary

Ireland vs India, 1st T20I - Live Cricket Score, Commentary IND 208/5 (20.0 Ovs) IRE 132/9 (20.0 Ovs) India won by 76 r...